Monday, March 26, 2007

A thankful family

Hi everyone. Sorry I have been MIA the last week or so. I don't know where the time has gone. Anyway, I am posting today because something something interesting happened.... I cooked a meal and my husband and my daughter both loved it at the same time and both thanked me. Now, to be fair, my husband almost always thanks me for dinner but sometimes I know he is just being polite.... Tonight I was thanked and appreciated.. And it was a trial run of something new! Can you believe it?? Okay, maybe I am getting a little too excited but my world is very small these days so I take joy in little things. Are ya'all dying to know what I cooked?? Probably not but I will share it anyway. I found the recipe in Light and Tasty magazine. It was Pita Pizzas which I thought would be more pizza like but it is actually a mexican flair. Here is the recipe in case anyone is interested:


Pita Pizzas

1/2 pound lean ground beef
5 whole pita breads
1 16 ounce can fat free refried beans
1 c chunky salsa
1/2 c shredded Mexican cheese
5 T fat free sour cream
2 green onions, sliced
IN a nonstick skillet cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain. Place pitas on a baking sheet. Spread with refried beans. Top with beef, salsa and cheese. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with sour cream and onions.
379 calories, 8 g fat, 26 mg cholesterol, 52 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber

Also, on the cooking front, we had an activity with the young couples on Saturday evening and our wonderful friends' Chris and Joy's house. I wanted to bring a dessert and so Karyss and I set off in search of something scrumptious... We came upon another recipe in Light and Tasty. It was for Caramel Brownie Pizza..... This also met with several compliments. We have just finished it at our house and several ladies took some home with them. It was VERY easy to make and fun for Karyss to help with. here is the recipe for that:


Caramel Brownie Pizza

1 package reduced fat brownie mix (13 inch x 9 inch pan size)
1/2 c fat free caramel apple dip
1/2 c miniature chocolate chips
1/4 c chopped pecans
Prepare brownie batter according to package directions. Coat a 12 inch pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread batter over pan to within 1 inch of the edge. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from edge comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Spread caramel apple dip over the top; sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans.
330 calories, 8 g fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 63 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber

Let me know if any of you make these and what your families think. Enjoy :0D

1 comment:

Heavenbound Kim said...

I'll be in SJ for a month, Kash will definitely try your recipe then... but don't count on a comment ~ she's not into blogging! YET!!! ~wink~
Kim;D oX's